Looking to enhance your outdoor space without breaking the bank? In this blog post, we’ll explore inexpensive and innovative large outdoor planter ideas that will elevate your garden. And, we’ll create a captivating garden focal point. We are going to transform an old barrel planter into a stunning garden centerpiece, complete with a unique wagon wheel rim and a charming assortment of plants.
Step 1: Planning and Preparation For Garden Focal Point Ideas
- Assessing your outdoor space: Consider the size and layout of your yard to determine the best spot for your large planter. My backyard space is mainly taken up by my pool and pool deck. After our recent pool remodel, I decided to update my planter. I found the perfect spot just at the end of the pool close to the pool deck.
- Selecting the right planter: Explore different options such raised plant beds, or custom-built containers that suit your aesthetic and gardening needs. I am a sucker for a barrel planter for some reason. I just like the rustic vibe you get with a barrel planter. Plus, they are a great inexpensive large planter ideas. This particular barrel planter has been with me for many years. Check out what’s at the bottom of this planter here. For more inexpensive large outdoor planter ideas, check out this article from The Curious Frugal.
- Creating a level area: Learn how to establish a level surface using flagstone or similar materials to provide a stable foundation for your large planter. I didn’t want to take up precious deck space with my planter and I didn’t want to sit my planter in the grass. So, I created a foundation for my planter directly against my pool deck. This is one of those great ideas for raising plant pots off the ground.
Step 2: Incorporating the Wagon Wheel Rim Around the Planter
- Unleashing creativity: Discover the charm and versatility of incorporating a wagon wheel rim into your planter design. I actually found this large steel wagon wheel rim in my neighbor’s trash. The wagon wheel part was too rotten to save, but I carried this heavy wagon wheel rim home not knowing what I was going to do with it. I love how it encircles my planter, though. I found some great wagon wheel planter ideas on Pinterest.
- Burial and positioning: Learn how to bury the wagon wheel rim under the flagstone, creating a circular border around the planter for a rustic touch. This took me a few tries, I’m not going to lie. I have to figure out what exactly was the most stable position for the flagstone rocks to hold the wagon wheel rim in place and just how deep to bury the wagon wheel rim. Once I figured it out; however, I loved the result.
- Enhancing the aesthetics: Explore various wagon wheel planter ideas such as attaching hanging baskets or using it as a trellis for climbing plants. There are so many other options for wagon wheels or wagon wheel rims in your garden as well. I originally used this wagon wheel rim as more of a trellis.
Step 3: Planting and Greenery in Wagon Wheel Planter
- Choosing the right plants: Consider the climate, sunlight, and soil conditions to select plants that thrive in your area. Where I placed my planter in my yard is pretty much a full sun spot and we live in Texas, so that’s Texas sun.
- Lavender as the centerpiece: Learn the benefits of planting lavender in the large planter, including its aromatic fragrance and vibrant purple blooms. I planted lavender in the middle of the planter. This particular lavender plant lasted several years and I loved how it grew up into the wagon wheel rim. I thought this was one of those great wagon wheel planter ideas.
- Complementing plants: Explore creative combinations of flowers, shrubs, or ornamental grasses to create a visually appealing and cohesive grouping. To create my grouping with my large planter, I used other plants with pops of pink and white.
Step 4: Adding a Pop of Color to Your Garden Focal Point
- Reviving dried gourds: Repurpose dried gourds from a previous project by spray painting them in an updated white color. A few years back I bought some gourds, dried them out, and used them as garden decor with my planter. Since I was updating my planter, I also updated my gourds with a fresh coat of white paint.
- Placing the painted gourds: Strategically position the painted gourds within the planter and surrounding area to add a vibrant and contrasting element. Use any color that helps your garden focal point ideas come to life.
- Enhancing the pool area: Discover how the pop of white from the painted gourds complements the new pool tile, creating a visually cohesive backyard oasis. Not only did this planter get an update, but the entire back yard did as well. Check out all of my backyard makeover ideas here.
Step 5: Creating a Captivating Focal Point with a Wagon Wheel Planter
- Maximizing the impact: Learn how the combined elements of the large planter, wagon wheel rim and painted gourds create a unique garden focal point in your backyard. I set out to create a garden focal point in my yard with this planter and wagon wheel rim. I love how it turned out. By combining the wagon wheel rim and the planter, it makes the planter even larger and adds more visual interest. It’s not something you are expecting to see, so you focus in.
- Designing around the planter: Explore additional garden focal point ideas, such as incorporating decorative lighting, seating, or other eye-catching elements to enhance the overall ambiance. On either side of where I placed my planter, I created new seating areas. Check out Our Fire Pit Area to the left of the planter. Plus, see how we created the perfect spot for hammocks to the right. All of these areas are prominently visible from the opposite side of the pool deck. I have the perfect view from my couch and chair seating area.
With these budget-friendly and creative large outdoor planter ideas, you can transform your outdoor space into a captivating garden retreat. Embrace the charm of the wagon wheel rim, enjoy the fragrance of lavender, and infuse your backyard with pops of color. Let this revamped planter become the centerpiece that elevates your garden and provides a soothing and visually stunning oasis for you to enjoy all season long.